MSR-H01-PTH Pan/Tilt head comments

General robot discussions

MSR-H01-PTH Pan/Tilt head comments

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Not sure if this it the right place for this thread, so please move it if it should be somewhere else.

Received my Pan/Tilt Head (PTH) this afternoon (thanks, Matt), and wanted to share some observations I came to during assembly.

First off, some comments about the instructions:
The instructions mention M3 plain washers in the part about top plate assembly. None were provided in the fittings, and they're not shown on the fittings bag contents list.
I have some, so it wasn't an issue.

The Product info page says "The tilt operation can be mounted in one of two ways to give either +60 / - 16 degrees or -60 / +16 degrees of range."
There's no mention of this in the instructions. It appears they weren't fully adapted from the coxa assembly instructions.
The Tilt servo orientation shown would give -60 / +16 degrees. Rotating it 180 degrees, so the output is at the top, would allow +60 / - 16 degrees.

And finally, the instructions show the unit being assembled as a mirror image of the product photo.

Aside from that, the parts are good quality, and assembly is very simple.
I used a 2mm Hex key for for the M3 screws, and 2.5mm for the M4 screws.
For the nuts and hex spacers, I did them up finger-tight, then there was enough friction hat the hex key could tighten them.
If you must use tools for this, you could use pliers :o or spanners (wrenches to the Americans ;) ) of 5.5mm and 7mm.

For the Pan servo, I used the recommended HS-225BB.
The tilt servo is a "standard" size, and I have several different ones "in stock".

Here are my findings:
Futaba FP-S148 - Needs the Washers mentioned, but it fits.
Futaba S3003 - Would need the washers, but the mounting lugs are too thick (2.5mm) for the slots in the brackets.
Cirrus CS601BB - Would need the washers, but the mounting lugs are too thick (2.4mm) for the slots in the brackets.

For reference, the FP-S148 mounting lugs are 2.0mm thick. As it fits, I would assume this is the case with the recommended Hitec servos.

I used a Futaba FP-S148 for the tilt servo. This required me to use different holes to those shown on the instructions in order to get the horn properly centred. I assume this is a difference in the hole pitch diameter of the Futaba and Hitec horns.

I would also assume that the servo mount lug slots are the same shape/size on the aluminium MSR-H01 coxa brackets as on the PTH, so if you plan to use anything other than the recommended Hitec servos, you should check the thickness of their mounting lugs, or be prepared to sand them to fit.
No1_sonuk

Re: MSR-H01-PTH Pan/Tilt head comments

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 pm

No1_sonuk wrote:Not sure if this it the right place for this thread, so please move it if it should be somewhere else.

Received my Pan/Tilt Head (PTH) this afternoon (thanks, Matt), and wanted to share some observations I came to during assembly.

First off, some comments about the instructions:
The instructions mention M3 plain washers in the part about top plate assembly. None were provided in the fittings, and they're not shown on the fittings bag contents list.
I have some, so it wasn't an issue.

Ok I need to change the assembly instructions, the washers aren't provided as they are not needed for the recommended servo, e.g. HS-311, HS-322 or HS-475.

No1_sonuk wrote:The Product info page says "The tilt operation can be mounted in one of two ways to give either +60 / - 16 degrees or -60 / +16 degrees of range."
There's no mention of this in the instructions. It appears they weren't fully adapted from the coxa assembly instructions.
The Tilt servo orientation shown would give -60 / +16 degrees. Rotating it 180 degrees, so the output is at the top, would allow +60 / - 16 degrees.

I guess I assumed people would figure this out, but I can add something into the assembly guide.

No1_sonuk wrote:And finally, the instructions show the unit being assembled as a mirror image of the product photo.

I will flip the image ;)

No1_sonuk wrote:Aside from that, the parts are good quality, and assembly is very simple.
I used a 2mm Hex key for for the M3 screws, and 2.5mm for the M4 screws.
For the nuts and hex spacers, I did them up finger-tight, then there was enough friction hat the hex key could tighten them.
If you must use tools for this, you could use pliers :o or spanners (wrenches to the Americans ;) ) of 5.5mm and 7mm.

For the Pan servo, I used the recommended HS-225BB.
The tilt servo is a "standard" size, and I have several different ones "in stock".

Here are my findings:
Futaba FP-S148 - Needs the Washers mentioned, but it fits.
Futaba S3003 - Would need the washers, but the mounting lugs are too thick (2.5mm) for the slots in the brackets.
Cirrus CS601BB - Would need the washers, but the mounting lugs are too thick (2.4mm) for the slots in the brackets.

For reference, the FP-S148 mounting lugs are 2.0mm thick. As it fits, I would assume this is the case with the recommended Hitec servos.

I used a Futaba FP-S148 for the tilt servo. This required me to use different holes to those shown on the instructions in order to get the horn properly centred. I assume this is a difference in the hole pitch diameter of the Futaba and Hitec horns.

I would also assume that the servo mount lug slots are the same shape/size on the aluminium MSR-H01 coxa brackets as on the PTH, so if you plan to use anything other than the recommended Hitec servos, you should check the thickness of their mounting lugs, or be prepared to sand them to fit.

Glad you like the kit, and thanks for the write up and pointers on mistakes, its always useful to get this kind of feedback. Also good to see you trying different servos! You are correct in assuming that that the screw holes on a futaba horn are different to a hitec horn.. that would just be too easy, no actually it would be really easy if they all had the same spline :)

Any pictures?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 pm

I have updated the assy. guide: http://www.hexapodrobot.com/guides/guide_assy_MSR-H01-PTH.html

1) Image flipped.
    2) Additional notes added to assy. sections 2 and 4
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Matt Denton wrote:Any pictures?

Not got anything to fit it to yet, but here it is:
No1_sonuk

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:29 pm

How easy was it to mod the futaba horn, line it up and add some holes? or were they close enough?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm

I used a highly scientific method:- I lined up the centre of the horn with the hole in the arm and rotated until I saw light. :D
The Futaba horn I have is 21mm outer diameter, the Hitec one is about 24mm.
This is where the screws went:

The holes indicated on the instructions (the middle one of the group of 3) are about 15mm apart on the Futaba horn (17mm on the Hitec). The ones I used are about 16.5mm apart, and close enough that it fitted.

I might have to take off the webs around the screw hole so it sits more flush.
No1_sonuk

Return to Other